225g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla or almond extract
Pink gel food colouring (optional)
1. Into a large bowl add your flour and semolina. Mix well to combine.
2. Cut the butter into small chunks and add into the bowl with the flour, semolina, sugar, vanilla extract and a small amount of food colouring. Rub between your fingers until the mixture starts coming together and then knead into a dough. (If you have an electric mixer you can use it with the paddle attachment)
3. Wrap the ball of dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill slightly.
4. Remove dough from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut out hearts using a cookie cutter or you can also make a template out of a piece of card.
5. Place cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper and put back into the fridge for 30 minutes. Chilling the dough means the cookies won't spread when they are baking.
6. Preheat the oven to 160°C/ Fan 140°C/ Gas 3 and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove cookies from the oven and sprinkle with sugar while hot. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking tray and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
8. Make a cup of tea and present to your valentine... or eat them all yourself!